29 August 2010

when god is not your co-pilot

God is not my co-pilot. I intentionally left him off The Global Citizen Project guest list, and like a White House party crasher, he weaseled his way into my humanitarian efforts in Honduras.

I've spent enough time in Latin America to be well versed in its largely Roman Catholic ways. As a 37-year old woman, atheist and lifer "señorita" I've learned that the vaguer the details, the better when explaining why I live in so-called sin with my long-term partner and have avoided the mommy track. I am respectful of others' beliefs and decisions, but wholeheartedly reject the notion of God with a capital "G." Gimme science, gimme nature, but thanks, no thanks, please keep your crucifixes and guilt-geared scriptures to yourself. Deal?

Read more of my article "When God is Not Your Co-Pilot" on National Geographic Traveler Intelligent Traveler Blog here.

No comments: