03 December 2009

give thanks thursday

My apologies for taking so long to post all of this exciting news (believe me, I’ve been itching all day to tell you), but today was packed with the launch of my project with Honduras for the public to pick my community project, followed by several deadlines and an afternoon meeting. Now, I am all yours. I built a fire, pulled up a chair and I’m ready to chat.

Sit down for this bit of news – The Global Citizen Project has $2,030 in funds and is 10% funded. I have 80 days to go and the momentum is just starting. I have many people to thank for supporting this project – this is definitely not a solo project – but must thank the two latest backers, Jeanette and Meg.

Thank you to Meg for making a pledge to The Global Citizen Project. I met Meg while on a press trip in Maui with several outstanding ladies, plus Johnny Jet (globetrotter extraordinaire). Like myself, Meg’s an East Coaster transplanted in the Pacific Northwest. She writes about travel and shopping, is one helluva bridge player (her husband is pro) and has a wicked sense of humor.

I must also give thanks to Jeanette, my friend from Denver, CO for her very generous $1,000 pledge. I was speechless when I saw that in my inbox this morning post-shower and was so ecstatic, I didn’t even need a cup of coffee to start the day. I met Jeanette this past June while I was covering Barbecue University at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, CO. (If you love grill marks on your meat, this annual event is a must for you.) The event is hosted by Steven Raichlen, author of The Barbecue Bible, and it’s a really interactive, intimate cooking event where you learn how to cook more than 30 different dishes -- from prep until fire-grilled final product -- over the course of a weekend. Jeanette was there with her family and we got talking about Facebook and cookbooks/all things culinary and travel. We stayed in touch via the almighty social media networking site, Facebook (amen) and I quickly learned that like myself, Jeanette lives life to its fullest. I am always tickled to hear what new adventure she’s up to, whether it’s taking flight lessons (in a plane) or taking flight (trapeze lessons are in the works), or heck, eating donuts for dinner, this is a gal after my own heart – always on-the-go. So, for that, I’m sending a big cyber head towards the Rockies for Jeanette and endless amounts of thanks.

While I’m smiling ear-to-ear and saying thanks, I’d also like to thank Off Track Planet, The Ultimate Backpackers Travel Guide, for helping to spread the word on Twitter about The Global Citizen Project. Also, vtravelled.com, Virgin Atlantic’s new social travel site (which I write for), has been generous in their Twitter love.

Last but not least, I’d like to thank all the folks who are commenting on Visit Honduras’ Facebook Fan Page pick on which community projects I should volunteer for. I cannot tell you how much your input means to me and I look forward to spending some time exploring the websites of each of the recommended organizations.


I think that about covers it. Whew. Got anything on your mind or have any questions about The Global Citizen Project? Leave me a comment and I'll get back to you in a jiff.

No comments: